Get Help Now!  


  Available 24/7   

The road to recovery starts here! Trusted, confidential help available 24/7. Speak with an addiction treatment specialist anytime. Please call us now at 800-815-3910!

Considering requesting a court order to have our son admitted?

by Malcolm

Good day,

I have a son who is 36 years old and has been addicted to a number of drugs such as CAT etc. We as a family have begged him to stop but he seems to love the drugs more than us and I do not have the money to admit him to a rehab centre, he has been to two rehab centres for short stints, the second rehab centre told him to leave before completion.

I am considering requesting a court order to have our son admitted against his will. However, before I go ahead with this,I would like to make sure I don't send him to some hell hole therefore I am writing to you in the hope that you can give me some advice. Any assistance would be gratefully appreciated.

best regards Malcolm

Comments for Considering requesting a court order to have our son admitted?

Click here to add your own comments

Get more information before you choose best place for your son
by: Debbie Wicker

Dear Malcolm,

Drug addiction is a disease of the brain and your son has lost control of himself to drugs. He still loves you but the drug controls all of his emotions and his actions by controlling his brain.

Knowing how to help him is a VERY VERY challenging problem. Many addicts have multiple unsuccessful stays in rehab because each of us is unique and what works for one addict is completely ineffective for another. Often free programs work as well as paid programs but the addict has to be willing to go, which it sounds like it is not the case with your son.

Because you son is likely breaking the law, calling the police is often a good option. My concern in your case is I don't know which country you live in or if the police can be trusted. Therefore, I agree with your concern that you need much more information before you commit you son to the wrong place and make matters worse rather than helping the situation.

Consider having everyone in your family begin to attend Al-anon meetings at least three times a week. All of you need to begin working the 12 steps so you can better understand what your son is experiencing and learn the best ways to help him. Find a sponsor and ask the people in the group where to go to get support for your son.

Find someone else that has been where you're at with your son and get advice as to your best course of action. Try to find out if there is drug treatment support within the criminal justice system in your area and how to get your son into those programs.

Good luck, and don't give up on your son, he has a HORRIBLE disease that he can't control,


Click here to add your own comments

Do you have a question or story? It's easy to ask your question or submit your story. How? Simply click here to return to Drug Addiction Parents.

and Finally Remember:

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened."
- Matthew 7:7-8

Recent Articles

  1. Codependency

    Mar 25, 17 10:09 AM

    Codependency tends to be a close family member like a husband, wife or in this case a mother who thinks she is helping her son...

    Read More

  2. My ugly heroin addiction!

    Mar 24, 17 09:12 AM

    I am a 20 year old female and I am addicted to heroin. I started using opiates when I was about 17 and wasn't really addicted until I was 18. I haven't

    Read More

  3. My Anonymous Confession

    Mar 23, 17 09:20 AM

    What you are about to read is ridiculously and the first confession and admittance of my secret self. I am 27 and live in Brighton. I have a large group

    Read More

Follow on Twitter or Google+