Take this short drug addiction quiz and learn whether or not you're addicted and how severe your addiction might be. The Addiction Severity Quiz has been used for many years and is a simple test that anyone can take to determine if they are addicted and how severe their addiction is.
Drug/alcohol addiction is a disease of the brain. When we use, our brain chemistry changes to adapt to the drug. As our brain changes, it often convinces us that the drug is not bad for us and that we NEED it to function well. It convinces us that our drug-of-choice reduces anxiety, helps us sleep, allows us to work productively even when we haven't slept, or that it helps us relax after a long and stressful day. These are all justifications for using that can be the early markers of addiction.
This drug addiction quiz is just a starting point and/or guide for you to assess your addiction, but it will give you an idea whether or not you need to seek help for your drug/alcohol use.
Information about this quiz:
- Simple 20 question assessment
- Research based, widely used
- Answer the questions in terms of the last 12 months
- Alcohol is a drug
- Count one point for every yes question
- Quick may not be completely comprehensive
Score one point for each question you answer “YES” to:
1. Have you used drugs other than those required for medical reasons?
2. Have you abused prescription drugs?
3. Do you abuse more than one drug at a time?
4. Do you use drugs every week?
5. Have you tried to stop and then started using again?
6. Have you had “blackouts” or “flashbacks” as a result of drug use?
7. Do you ever feel bad or guilty about your drug use?
8. Does your spouse (or parents) ever complain about your involvement with drugs?
9. Has drug abuse created problems between you and your spouse or your parents?
10. Have you ever lost friends over your drug use?
11. Have you neglected your family over drug use?
12. Have you been in trouble at work/school over drug use?
13. Have you lost a job over drug use?
14. Have you gotten in fights while under the influence of drugs?
15. Have you engaged in illegal activities in order to obtain drugs?
16. Have you been arrested for possession of illegal drugs?
17. Have you ever felt sick when you stopped taking drugs?
18. Have you had medical problems related to your drug use?
19. Have you gone to anyone for help for a drug problem?
20. Have you gone to a treatment program specifically for drug abuse?
Scoring your results:
0 No issue with addiction
1 - 5 Low level may not be addicted
6 – 10 Moderate (likely has addiction according to the DSM-5)
11 – 15 Substantial
16 – 20 Severe
Are you surprised by your score? Is it higher than you thought it would be? Ask your spouse, family and/or friends and you may be surprised that they're more aware of your potential addiction issues than you are. Our brains fool us into dismissing these signs as "normal", but often our loved ones are see it much sooner and more clearly then we do.
Please ask your question or share story about drug addiction.
Click below to see contributions about addiction.
Sobriety Tips for Life After Rehab
Addiction is no joke. It's a serious disease that affects a person both physically and emotionally. Admitting there is a problem is half the battle, and …
Husband is currently in withdrawal...What's next?
I am the wife of a man who is currently in the hospital in the throws of withdrawal from alcohol. He just started the DT's and I think they will last …
Wife wants divorce after opiate detox?
My wife just came back from detox for opiates, and then said she doesn't love me anymore. She is 30 days sober, and we are separated (at my request). …
Brother has REALLY bad drug problem?
Hi. My older brother has a really bad drug problem, and i think our whole family pretty much thinks their is no saving him. He is so far gone, but …
How I help my fiance get through his recovery without fighting?
My fiance is in a methadone treatment program, he was/is addicted to painkillers which led to a heroin addiction. I don't know how to cope with it …
My 16 year old son addicted to marijuana?
Today, I'm so sad. I'm a Christian, Husband, Father and Law Enforcement Officer. I've done everything I could possibly do in being a great role model for …
I would like to wean myself off of suboxone am taking 2mg a day
I would like to know how to wean self off of Suboxone 2mg a day for 2 years?
Help for prescription drug abuse?
Please send me more information about prescription abuse and how to get help...
My son's father is addicted to drugs?
My ex has a drug abuse problem. I know he is addicted to pain killers and uses other drugs such as meth and things like that. His drug abuse started …
Methamphetamine addicted girlfriend?
No matter what I've tried to do she won't stop using .... Neglects her kids . Sneaks out of the house when kids are sleeping ... Having sex with multiple …