Dealing with drug addict

by Alisha

(Chandigarh, India)

My brother has taken drugs from the last 10 years and me and my mother live with him. He takes smack. We have tried everything for him rehab centres, medicines, courses etc but everything failed. I want information about women rights against this as he gets angry very easily and sometimes violent too.

Follow the Rules

by: Ned Wicker

Dear Alisha,

You are in a difficult situation. Do you live with him, or does he live with you and your mother? If you and your mother provide food and shelter, he needs to follow your rules and respect your home.

If you live under his roof, you do not have as much leverage. If he is under your roof, kick him out. He uses the drugs and treats you poorly because you allow it. There are no consequences for his actions.

If, however, you are living with him, you and your mother may have to be the ones to leave if you can. He must understand that if he wants to have a relationship with his mother and sister, he needs to change his behavior. He needs to try treatment again, only this time he needs to work at it, not just go through it.

There are fine programs in India and you will find them on the internet. Your brother needs to be accountable for his actions, and so far it sounds to me like does what he wants and you and your mother suffer.

I also understand that there might be cultural differences that need consideration. That is why I recommend you talk to a treatment center and get their advice. What might be a good approach in North America might not be good in India, because of cultural differences.

I do know this, human nature is exactly the same no matter where you live.

Similar Posts