Sister has a problem with pain killers.

by Edith

My sister-in-law has a problem with pain killers medications. She lives in Arizona and the law over there is that unless she asks for help, there is nothing we can do.

I was just wondering if that is so, and if there is anything we can do to help her with this problem. She has 3 children and they are our concern too!

Please let me know if you can direct me to find a solution.



Hard to Watch

by: Ned Wicker

Dear Edith,

Like so many others, you are there, watching this situation and you want to help. You need to have some help from people who understand, so give Al-Anon a call or go to and find a meeting near you.

You might want to have a family meeting and see where everybody stands. If you go this all alone, chances are everybody will turn on you.

Her husband may try to protect(enable)her and he might be a problem. That’s why you need help from people who really know what you’re going through.

Make that call.

Hope this helps.

by: Anonymous


Could your sister’s family send her to a substance abuse detox retreat? Maybe they could get a doctor’s prescription for a “detox”.

There are detox centers all over the U.S. I know of a good one in southern Indiana. I went there for a week for a lesser addiction, but I know they do 21-28 day residential stays and do a “tapering method” to wean someone off of pain medication and other drugs. They have a counselor and a psychiatrist on staff to help their guests cope.

They incorporate a lot of things in their program – hikes, exercise, doing chores, farm animal care. I know they have chickens and a horse.

Anyway, their website is:
for more information.

Hope things work out well for your sister and her family.

~ Ann

Similar Posts