Comments for Family addict returning from rehab?

Make Some Calls

by: Ned Wicker

You can call Al-Anon, AA, or a local treatment center to get advice about what you can do when your family member returns from treatment. I am also sure the treatment center will be more than happy to assist you as well.

Take it one day at a time, but don’t assume that he’s going to be perfect after his 90-day treatment program. I am sure there are some rough days ahead, going from the structure of rehab to the freedom of being at home.

His life needs to be rebuilt, so don’t allow him to hang out with the old gang, or visit the old haunts. He needs to avoid the old behavioral patterns that got him into trouble.

Families need treatment too, so you can be a big help by getting some education yourself.

Family addict returning…

by: Lynette


Hi- I think the best thing for YOU to do is to go to an Al Anon meeting in your area. There you will meet others in the same or similar situation as yourself, as well as learn how to deal with people struggling with addiction. I go and they have helped me immensely-my son has been struggling with addiction for 13 years.

The addict should go to Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics Anonymous meetings.

You can find meetings near you on the internet.

Also, you can get support from a counselor, a clergy, and a medical doctor. Make sure you get support for yourselves, not just for the addict.

As long as the addict is sincerely seeking help I believe you can help them. But, please be wary because addicts can be extremely manipulative and can get you to believe anything.

Best wishes and I’ll pray for you-Lynette

Similar Posts