I have a number of questions that I would like to have answered:
1. Who would be prescribed codeine?
2. When prescribed, what is codeine supposed to do for the patient?
3. What are the most common forms of codeine being used?
4. Who are the most common users of codeine?
5. Would codeine be considered a narcotic?
6. Is there an increase of abuse with this drug?
7. Popular culture, more or less the hip-hop culture, depicts the drug as something being used as a recreational drug?
8. What effects does codeine have that would lead to its recreational use?
9. From what I have been hearing throughout my research that depending on the color of the liquid form or the mixture of candy or soda that the effects can differ. Is there any truth to this?
10. Besides the obvious effects, are there any other short term signs of use when using codeine for reasons other than what it’s prescribed for?
11. Are there and long-term problems that can occur?
12. Physically, can a person be affected by misusing codeine?
13. Are there any psychological consequences to its misuse?
14. What goes on neurologically/chemically that causes the imbalance and possible addiction and physical consequences?
15. Do any of the other forms of codeine have the same side effects?
16. Could codeine abuse be a gateway to other drugs, just as marijuana can be? If so, what are the common drugs associated with it?