When I was a young kid I was a lost child. I didn't really feel like I belonged. I'm the youngest of three, my parents didn't really give me the attention they gave to my brother and sister.
I was a troubled kid. I started to hang out with the older guys in the neighborhood. I started smoking cigarettes when I was about ten just to fit in and I thought the older guys thought I was cool. I was very impressionable at that age.
After about a year hanging around with them they started to trust me and was letting me in on some of the things they were doing. There was a house being built on the next block over from my house, they were taking a long time to build it. We were looking for a place we could smoke without being seen. We went to the house and we built a little fort out of the extra blocks laying around, perfect place.
One day we was sitting in the fort smoking and one of the guys came in with a gas can and started huffing on it. He passed it around and when it was my turn I told them "no"! Then they started to pressure me to do it and told me I had to if I wanted to hang out with them. It was a tough decision to make but I fell victim of peer pressure.
To my regret and without knowing I was hooked. I started huffing everyday. After a month or so a couple of my friends started to huff with us.
Ok,this next part I'm about to tell you is horrible, but I feel I need to tell you so that people will see and understand the dangers of huffing. Me and a friend were in that fort one night huffing gas and had a candle lit so we could have light not realizing the danger. I had passed out from a huff of the gas and I guess my friend did to and when he did he dumped the gas on himself and some how the candle got knocked over and the gas exploded.
I came to with everything on fire including my friend. I ran out not knowing he was burning until I heard him screaming for help, so I ran back in and pulled him out and rolled him around on the ground to put him out. He was burned with second and third degree burns over 70% of his body. He was in the hospital for months. He was sent to a burn hospital in Houston TX.
We were 10-11 years old in the fourth grade, I'm 42 now and that still haunts me to this day. I'm telling my story's to help other people understand the dangers of inhalants. I've seen a lot of people who have killed themselves huffing the freon from the AC outside their house.
As I got into high school I started smoking weed and then one day this guy I know was huffing butane. He handed it to me and like a dumb ass I hit it and there we go. I keep on huffing it off and on till I was 30.
One day when I was 30 years old I was doing other drugs but when I didn't have the money to get pills or dope I would get a can of butane, cause it was a very cheap high. I was doing a lot this day when all the sudden my head started spinning real fast and that was it, I had overdosed on it and I stopped breathing and went into full cardiac arrest. I flat-lined for about 3-5 minutes.
Lucky for me and by the grace of God my wife ran out of the house screaming for help from the construction guys that were redoing the roads. A man that was passing by heard her and he came in and started CPR on me until the fireman came and brought me back.
Thank God I lived and there was no permanent damage. I no longer huff anything. Unfortunately I still use drugs but I'm at a time in my life that I'm sick and tired of using drugs and all the misery that comes with it!!! Thank you for letting me share my story and hope this will help somebody else...
"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." - Matthew 7:7-8